User Roles and Access Levels
Users in Kanban Zone can be assigned one of these roles: administrator, collaborator, subscriber, or viewer. Only administrators and collaborators count as licensed members in our pricing, but you can set up unlimited subscribers and viewers for FREE. Please find below the detailed information about each role and their respective access levels.
This role is responsible for understanding Kanban so that they can create the most effective Kanban boards for their team. They can leverage board templates and engage our coaches to get the most from Kanban Zone.
- Organization Owner – Each organization in Kanban Zone can only have a single organization owner. This access is the only one who can manage the plan and payment for the organization. It also has access to all the boards and is your super administrator. The organization owner can choose to delegate some or all of their access to other licensed members.
- Board Administrator – Based on your plan you can set additional board administrators. This role is assigned to specific boards and because they are administrators, they can create/edit boards they have been granted access to, or have created.
Although these administrators have additional access than any other role, they can also be put to work on boards to function as collaborators and own cards/tasks. Users with responsibilities like process owners, scrum masters, managers, team leaders, etc… are often set as administrators.
This role is for anyone collaborating on boards who needs to move/edit cards. They can do everything except create/edit boards and manage members. This access is definitely for users are who are accountable for delivering results by making them owners of cards and/or tasks. Users with responsibilities like engineers, developers, experts, team members, etc… are often set as collaborators.
If you need a collaborator to also be able to add boards, then can you can delegate the “Add Board” permission to specific collaborators.
3. Subscribers/Viewers (FREE)
These last two roles are ideal for inviting people who only need to view boards (Viewers) and comment on cards (Subscribers).
- Subscriber – This role can view boards, subscribe to cards, and communicate through comments on cards. These users provide input or support on cards through comments, but they are not responsible for flowing the cards on the boards. They can’t own cards or tasks, so, therefore, they are not accountable for the cards.
- Viewer – This lowest access level limits users from making any changes, but they can view the board and its content, as well as the reports associated with the board they have access to. We created this level for users who just need to stay informed.
Users with responsibilities like executives, stakeholders, subject matter experts, etc… are often set as subscribers/viewers.